Monday, March 15, 2010

Politically Correct

Think maybe Politics goes too far when it comes to what you can or can not write that goes for/against someone/thing these days?

See two stamps below I created from my photos to make into stamps, because I could. I really wasn't thinking I had an agenda.

This Stamp was Approved.



support our zoos - respect my home - respect earth







The second Stamp was "Not Approved" / Design incorporates material the primary purpose of which is to advocate or protest any particular religious, social, political, legal or moral agenda of any person or entity. What was written on Stamp?? Support Polar Bears - Respect Earth. Photo used?




Personally, I now think viewing both stamps together that the look on the first animal's face was far more threatening than the second one napping.

So I guess it was my writing that was the issue.

Maybe it was the oversight on my part...I did use Capital Letters on the second stamp. I raised my voice. :)

Or maybe the word support...no, wait I used "support" in making both stamps.

Or maybe supporting a nonprofit or profit institutionalized habitat is more politically correct than just supporting the natural habitat of an animal.

Notice I didn't use "Earth" capitalized in that last sentence. I didn't want to press my limit.

Truth be told, when writing I tend to capitalize Earth and Heaven and Lake and Sparrow (sometimes) because I value those words and what they represent to me. Here's the good news...you can capitalize any word you want to, too. Because you can. If that's Freedom of Speech, so be it. I just feel people should be able to value what they choose to value without anyone needing to judge, block or control their path or expression.

Truth told, I do like and value Polar Bears and Earth. The fact that I singled out Polar Bears does not mean I don't also value other animals or humans for that matter. Didn't mean to offend anyone not valuing Polar Bears or Earth by my bold political statement.

Now that I am more aware, I am going to look long and hard at the stamps I lick. Come to think of it, I've never been asked and have not approved any stamps I've been told by the USPS to use for whatever postage is required to send my message. Maybe each stamp should be passed through Congress. That ought to delay postal rate increases for a while.

I have had choices. My most recent choice was the Simpson Stamps. I just kind of find them funny. Somehow made my bill paying a fun thing to do. Never gave much thought to who doesn't like the Simpsons or even if one or more of the characters have ever said or done anything offensive on their TV show.

Where have the days gone when people could stand for what they believed (or didn't) and other people just lived/let live not needing to control or silence other or beliefs of other?

Where have the days gone where people could just Be without having to be Done Unto?